The Writers’ Guild annual Awards will be presented on Monday 13 January 2020, at the Royal College of Physicians in central London.
Nominations in the following 15 categories are now open, using this form (please check full eligibility criteria below before filling in the form). Nominations close on 7 October 2019 at 5pm.
- Radio – Best Drama
- Radio – Best Comedy*
- Games – Best Writing in a Video Game*
- Comedy – Best Online Comedy*
- TV – Best Long Running Series*
- TV – Best Long Form Drama*
- TV – Best Short Form Drama*
- TV – Best Children’s TV Episode
- TV – Best Situation Comedy
- Theatre – Best Play
- Theatre – Best Play for Younger Audiences
- Theatre – Musical Theatre Bookwriting*
- Film – Best First Screenplay
- Film – Best Screenplay
- Books – Best First Novel
All work is eligible for nomination if first broadcast/published/performed or released between 1 October 2018 and 29 September 2019, with additional eligibility criteria for some TV, theatre, radio, video game and comedy categories*
Writers must be British citizens or residents. If there are joint writers and only one writer qualifies, then he/she must have written over 50% of the work (except Theatre – Musical Theatre Bookwriting; see additional eligibility criteria, below).
For enquiries about the Writers’ Guild Awards please email email@example.com
*Additional eligibility criteria:
COMEDY – BEST ONLINE COMEDY
Qualification requires a scripted comedy production of 10 minutes or less featured on the British Comedy Guide, Chortle or Beyond The Joke websites. Sketches, mini-series, sitcoms and animations are eligible. The following are not eligible: stand-up, wholly improvised shows, trailers, prank shows, audio-only shows or shows that rely on interaction with the general public.
RADIO – BEST COMEDY
Narrative sitcom and sketch shows are eligible, but not panel shows or shows that are primarily a showcase for stand-up comedians to perform their routines.
THEATRE – MUSICAL THEATRE BOOKWRITING
Qualification does not require professional performers: youth and community theatre productions are eligible if led by a professional production team, and for a minimum of three public performances. ‘Musical theatre book’ is defined as the overall structure of the show, which can be sung-through. Everyone identified by the writing team as ‘bookwriter’ or ‘librettist’ meets the criteria for nomination, regardless of percentage contribution.
TV – BEST LONG RUNNING SERIES
Qualification requires a minimum of 13 episodes per year
TV – BEST LONG FORM DRAMA
Qualification requires 4-12 episodes per year
TV – BEST SHORT FORM DRAMA
Qualification requires a maximum of 3 episodes a year
VIDEO GAMES – BEST WRITING IN A VIDEO GAME
- In the case of multi-platform games with staggered release dates, only the first full release date determines eligibility
- The game must be a final release, not a beta or early access version
- The game must be a new release, not a remaster or re-release
- At least 50% of the game must have been written by writer/s who are either British, or working in Britain, hereafter British/Working
Above photo: Guests at the 2019 Writers’ Guild Awards (Matt Writtle)