COMMISSIONED / OPTIONED / PRODUCED WORK
The Real McCoy
- commissioned and produced writer on the very first series of the BBC Two comedy sketch show.
- BBC held an option on this half-hour children's comedy drama in 2001. Now a spec script again - details below.
- commissioned in 2006 to write a one hour romantic comedy drama for a proposed BBC One anthology series called The Evening Play
The World of... Acting
- wrote material for a 2011 non-broadcast TV pilot for a themed comedy sketch show produced and directed by Clare Sturges.
- a dark thriller, one of 50 short scripts selected for production for the crowdsourced 50 Kisses
anthology feature film released in February 2014. Romantic Hideaway
was made by 6 different directors in the UK, Ireland, Spain & US.
- topical satirical sketch show on BBC Radio 4 Extra. Had material broadcast in Series 13 (2015) and Series 14 (2016).
Flesh and Blood
- spec feature-length contained thriller based on my short script Romantic Hideaway
- set in one location with an all-female cast of just three. Flesh and Blood
reached the last 15 of the 2018 Red Planet Prize, was a 2017 PAGE Awards Finalist (top 100 out of 6364 scripts & top 10 in the thriller/horror category) and a Semi-Finalist (top 151 out of 72012 scripts) in the 2017 Academy Nicholl Fellowships. In 2016, a previous draft under the original title Romantic Hideaway
first advanced to the shortlist and interviewing stage (top 40 out of 3100 scripts) of the BBC Writersroom Drama Script Room 10, then was a Semi-Finalist (top 149 out of 6915 scripts) in the Academy Nicholl Fellowships, and ended that year shortlisted for the jury stage of the BAFTA Rocliffe Film Competition.
The Life and Deaths of Jim Reaper
- spec feature comedy about an accident-prone, incompetent but yet surprisingly successful hit man: Jim Reaper. A previous draft, under its original title, The Hit Man and Her
was a Quarter-Finalist in the 2013 Screenwriting Goldmine competition, a Scriptmarket finalist at the Cheltenham Screenwriters Festival in July 2007, and also a finalist at Fade In, the Central European Pitch Forum which took place in Hungary during October 2007.
- returning one-hour contemporary sci-fi thriller series about a secret army of brainwashed killers embedded in society. Pilot script was a Semi-Finalist in the 2012 Screenwriting Goldmine competition. In 2013, the script reached the long list (top 5% of 2800) in the BBC Writersroom New Year Script Room submission window. In 2016, script reached final 28 (out of 1000+ submissions) in the Red Planet Prize.
Out on a Limb
- a 30-minute black comedy about a man who after a drunken night wakes up in a strange bedroom handcuffed to a severed arm. Script was rewarded with a place on the TAPS 2007 continuing drama workshop. In 2015, the script reached the second round (top 14%) in the BBC Writersroom Comedy Script Room 9.
- family-friendly tales of sci-fi and horror in the 21st Century - a sort of Digital Gothic - set in Southall, West London. Originally optioned by the BBC in 2001, subsequently picked for the CBBC New Writers Masterclass in 2009 and then in 2014, the project was selected for the Advanced Mentoring Script Lab with John Yorke at the London Screenwriters' Festival.
- ensemble workplace sitcom set in a music rehearsal studios where the fictional staff interact with real life music acts. The pilot script won a place on the TAPS comedy writing workshop in 2002. A later draft received a rehearsed reading in 2011 by the London Comedy Writers, Upstairs at the Old Kings Head.
The Folks on the Hill
- surreal and satirical comedy set in a future dystopian Britain which has brought back crucifixion - but because of ongoing austerity cuts and UN carbon footprint targets, people are crucified two to a cross! Originally a series of sketches written for The Real McCoy
, they were all dropped at the last moment - except for this one which slipped through
! Now a half-hour comedy, the pilot script reached the long list of a BBC sitcom competition in 2004 and won the Guardian Funny Farm competition in 2006. A ten-minute extract of The Folks on the Hill
was performed as a rehearsed reading at the London Screenwriters' Festival in 2010.
The Mobius Tape
- a thirty minute twisting murder mystery thriller - told backwards. Script reached second round of the BBC Writersroom Sharps competition in 2008.