Hi, I'm Dave Cook, creator and author of award-winning comic book series Killtopia,
which is published by BHP Comics
and is being adapted for TV by Voltaku Studios
. I also write video games, books about gaming and more. In 2018 the series won a Creative Edinburgh Award, then in 2019 it won three Scottish Independent Comic Book Awards.
I'm based in Edinburgh and have been writing, crowdfunding and self-publishing comic books since 2014. In that time I have raised over £73,000 on Kickstarter
to fund my comic projects, including Killtopia, Bust, Vessels and BPM: Beatdowns Per Minute. In 2021 I released the eBook 'Crowdfunding Comics'
on Gumroad, to help newcomers plan, market and run their own Kickstarter campaigns.
In 2020 I moved into video game writing. My first project was Unbound: Worlds Apart
, a puzzle-platformer developed by Alien Pixel Studios for PC and Nintendo Switch. In 2021, I signed to write two more games - the first is the 'roguelike' game Loot River
by Straka Studio, which is releasing on PC and Xbox Series X/S in 2022. The second game is Final Fright
, a PC beat 'em up launching in 2023.
Across my comic and video game projects, my areas of expertise includes, but is not limited to:
- Crafting rich lore bibles to establish the setting and world rules
- Creating character biographies, visual design briefs and personalities
- Writing punchy dialogue for each character using consistent tones
- Scripting comic pages with detailed panel direction to brief my artists
- Writing branching video game narratives based on complex trigger points
- Writing game NPC dialogue, item descriptions, UI prompts and more
- Devising trailer concepts to brief storyboarding artists
- Contributing to beta tests to improve our in-game content based on user research
- Contributing to project marketing, including crowdfunding, PR, social posts and blogs
I also write books about gaming, starting with Go Straight: The Ultimate Guide to Side-Scrolling Beat 'Em Ups
, which is releasing in 2021 via an unannounced publisher
I am always on the look out for my next project, especially in comics, video games and TV
. Please drop me a line if you would like to chat about your project.