What better way to show how important your union is to you – join in a week of activity organised by the TUC for its annual HeartUnions Week, which takes place from 11 to 17 February 2019.
The week focuses on all the good work unions do and shows how unions offer everyone a voice at work.
This year the TUC is also using the week to highlight the fight to stamp out zero-hours contracts.
Unions thrive on the activism of their members. The more members who join up and who become active in their union, the stronger unions become. We are therefore urging WGGB members to get active during HeartUnions Week by doing one of the following. Or you may have another idea yourself. Whatever you choose, we’d love to hear what you have done, so drop us a line to firstname.lastname@example.org
How you can get active
We’re celebrating our 60th anniversary this year and six decades of wins for writers. Find out how you can join the party and get involved on our special birthday website.
- The lack of working-class writers, performers and musicians is the focus of a new Parliamentary inquiry by the Performers’ Alliance All-Party Parliamentary Group. Find out how you can get involved and make a difference.
- Free training is available to all WGGB members via FEU Training. This includes workshops, webinars and other online learning options on running a successful business as a freelancer – from setting up your own website and marketing yourself to getting your finances in order or honing your presentation skills. Why not boost your career and meet other creative professionals too? See the full list of courses.
- Our Equality Writes campaign is tackling inequality in the screen industries, and was launched last year following a landmark report we published which shows that only only 16% of working film writers in the UK are female, and only 14% of prime-time TV is female-written. Find out more and pledge your support for the campaign.
- Stay engaged! Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook for regular news on what we’re up to.
- If you’re a writer but not yet a member, then this is the perfect week to join. We represent writers in TV, film, theatre, radio, books, poetry, comedy, animation and videogames. We welcome all writers, at whatever stage of their careers, and membership starts at £9 per month. Join online.
Find out more about HeartUnions Week.